The Scene

in The Scene 19.04.2014 01:41
von Justin Beaver • Forumsgott | 3.112 Beiträge

Theo de Rose. The story so far...

At the tender age of 8 or 9 I use to listen to my dad playing 78 rpm’s records of Bix Beiderbecke, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young and Charlie Parker. This I suppose psychologically set the seeds of things to come. One must take into context that JAZZ was popular music; The modernism of it’s day.
Then Rock n Roll hit the UK shores in the mid 50s. In the early 60s The Liverpool Sound surfaced.The Rolling Stones kicked off covering real R n B stuff and along with the early soul sounds we all know James Brown was
at the forefront.I traced his links from Little Willie John, Hank Ballard and The Dominoes. I was like so many young kids going back and listening to all this. Then came Jimi Hendrix who took me to Freddie, Albert and BB King.
I entered the film industry in 1968 as a runner the wages were only £5.18s.6d so I needed to earn money at the weekends. One night I venture to a club called LeBataclan; 6a Princess Street, London, a basement of course. That night I met Ted Murphy, Paul Beecham, Terry Smith, Paddy Gordon and Tubby Norris; they were all ex-Mods from The Scene . They took me under their wing and changed my life. The DJ was Jean-Claude Potier and he was pals with the legendary black DJ Al Needles [The Roaring 20’s]. So I started filling in during their breaks ,because of my own collecting and love of music I was able to do this. Al had me tagging around with him, next was filling in at LeKilt Club, Bag of Nails, spinning at The Cue Club during The Count Suckle days.
The years led up to 'Rockin’ at the Notre Dame' during the 70s running it with Ted,Paul and Terry. Many moons on having done numerous gigs it was time to play the eclectic tracks spanning the decades from the 1940s to the early 70’s the majority of course were Afro-American music. Be it, Big Band - Jazz - Blues - Rock and Roll - Rhythm and Blues – Blue Beat - Ska - Motown - Reggae - Classic Rock - Soul and Funk. Music from the clubs that made London what it was: The Scene, Le Bataclan, Bag of Nails, Café des Artistes, Le Kilt, Cue Club, The Roaring 20’s, Rockin’ at the Notre Dame etc.
The choice of these decades starts with Charlie Parker’s recording of “Cherokee” with Jay McShan’s Orchestra in 1941. In this track he changed melody and the chord structure to produce the catalyst for the music of the first generation of a new type of musician during the 40s.
By the end of 1971 Isaac Hayes had recorded “Hot Buttered Soul” The Doors “LA Woman” and Marvin Gaye “What’s Going On album”. Within a short period of time between 1969 and 1971 We lost Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison. This by progression changed the mood, as music entered it’s psychedelic and disco second generation period.
'THE SCENE' is for the love of music from the decades that shaped all we LOVE. Having done a detailed study and reconnaissance of the present independent club nights , I feel they tend to lock themselves into one singular mode of music all night, be it swing, soul, or salsa etc.
"THE SCENE' is different, it keeps the audience guessing and the music changes from style to style making the musical journey refreshing and different. Added to this hundreds of period film and movie clips punching along with a visual blast to sometimes contradict or complement the music and you have a wonderful mix...

All are welcome,
See you there,
Original Modernists 1959-1960

If attending a teenage party, or in fact one of any other kind, I’d naturally wear my sharpest, coolest ensemble - possibly even my ivy-league outfit a GI got for me last year from his PX.

Young, good looking, crew cut, Ivy League, advertising exec type fruit holds the door back for me. I am evidently his idea of a character …

I wear ivy league jackets, white buckskin shoes// so many tickets down the scene honey....

zuletzt bearbeitet 19.04.2014 01:42 | nach oben springen

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: jafanshen
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 816 Themen und 9125 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen